The documentation of my final year project at Lasalle College of the Arts, Ba(Hons) Design Communication.

View here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/b1481a59-6c88-4240-ab66-c29aada8a0b9

For my research compendium done in year 2, I looked into the concept of Place Identity in Global Cities. The basis of the research stemmed from my passion for geography, comprising of both the…


For the set-up, the imac is connected to the projector as well, which is why it is placed at one end of the table. The publication is on the left and the user-testing cards on the right, so that it is a smooth transition from left to right (part 1 to 3). The posters are stuck on the board using magnets.


With the video done, all that’s left is to get some reaction from ‘commuters’ to get feedback. I set up an experience theatre using a giant black cloth borrowed from Kenneth who borrowed it from church…(thank you). The simulation video which consists of 5 stations is shortened as such: Gradient…


For the research publication, I had already compiled all my observation and written down the contents. All that’s left is to put it together. For the layout of my publication, I wanted to play with the images being ‘out of place’ to drive the idea of the commuters stuck in…


Now that the video edit is done, I will need to settle on my overall art direction for the project. It can’t look like “end of world” anymore. I wish to go for a more vibrant look.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/f7/3a/bcf73a89b3714ffd518c9a97229c08fb.png

Visually from the image above, the orange colour brings warmth to the cold…


For the gradient colours, I decided to pump up the colours by increasing the vibrancy and saturation as well as removing the greys.

Gradient circle

For the nature images, I decided to head over to the park near my house. I went down on a Monday (12 April) morning (9–10am), to avoid the crowd.

Grassfield in the park (filtered image)

It was terribly hot and sunny. Had to use the ND filter to get the footages right.


The most important outcome of this project is the different visuals that could be shown in the train. I understand that both lecturers hope for my outcomes to include different sensorial experiences like smell, sound, etc. …


I have been observing commuters on the train for the past month and decided to conclude it officially on 15 April. This CPJ entry will serve as a summary document of my experience observing commuters.

The purpose of observing commuters is to understand what are the different kinds of commuters…


On the Thursday (15/04) after Open Studio Week, we had our last consult. The main feedback I received from Joselyn with regards to my project was about the need for more methods and exploration of visuals that could be implemented in trains that is aligned with the purpose. Both Yasser…

Rachel Fung

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store